Day 5 One of the unfortunate side effects of reading and blogging like rockstars seems to be a tendency toward burnout. How do you keep things fresh on your blog and in your reading?
Avoiding burnout is something that we all have had to deal with at one time or another. There are lots of ways that I battle the urge to pack it all in.
1. Post about other things. Photography posts are my favorite way to throw up some interesting content that usually gets a lot of comments and makes me feel inspired again!
2. Reread a favorite that you can gush about. Sometimes I get in a summary-thoughts format rut. When I start talking about a favorite, I find that it's impossible to stick with a formula.
3. Participate in an event. This always helps to rekindle excitement about the blog and also to give fresh ideas, either through conversations with others or through visiting their blogs and seeing something cool that someone else is doing.
4. Be forgiving. If you're not feeling the blog at the moment, take a break. It's not like we're required to either be regularly active or else we have to quit. Take a break and if the blog is something you truly care about, you'll miss it and find your way back.
5. Don't apologize when you get back. I think that the need to apologize and explain sometimes delays one's return because those posts are tough to write and are ultimately negative. Unless it's a reason that you really feel the need to share, it's okay to just start back in with regular posts.
How do you avoid or recover from burnout?
This is the last day of Book Blogger Appreciation Week so I just wanted to thank Jenny, Andi, Ana, and Heather for bringing back this event. I was a little unsure at first but this has been an amazing week of meeting new friends, celebrating with old ones, and seeing just how important we are to each other. I love this community!
Finally, I want to plug my upcoming book event one more time. March Magics is a month-long celebration of the lives and stories of Diana Wynne Jones and Terry Pratchett. I announced the event here and will be posting dates for the readalongs and more next week. Join us if you are a fan or a newbie. Everyone is welcome!
Feeling the love,