If you missed the fun that was the compilation and reveal of Fuse #8's Top 100 Picture Books Poll, head over and check out the final list ... which actually became a 101 list after an error. The poll lists were submitted by blog readers/writers as top ten lists and then were weighted and tallied by Betsy.
These were our Top Ten picture books and I noted if they made it on the list ...
1. Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel -- the absolute best book to read out loud and for kids to want to memorize - number 35
2. The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf -- smelling the flowers is MUCH better than fighting - number 11
3. Chicken Soup With Rice by Maurice Sendak -- a little book that takes you through the months AND around the world - number 60 (with my quote!)
4. I Am Not Sleepy and I Will Not Go To Bed by Lauren Child -- Lola has the most fantastic imagination
5. The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone -- a little bit of fear is fun and a lot of Grover is even more fun! - number 22
6. Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans -- a boarding school full of happy children? you don't see that often in fiction - number 8
7. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle -- the cadence of the book is perfect - number 30 (also with my quote!)
8. The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey -- puppies are so cute that they can still somehow have their fun and eat their cake too
9. Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina -- cheeky monkeys! - number 17
10. Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson -- imagination is everything - number 7
Eight of our ten made it to the final list and we own 25 of the books so I guess we like a lot of classics around here! There are so many other fantastic books on the list that I really suggest going to check it out. It's a perfect list for filling in those holes in your home library! There is also a complete list of nominated books that didn't make it to the Top list.
Praise to picture books,
K and Z